This Roasted Fall Vegetable Salad features your favorite fall veggies- brussel sprouts, beets, and sweet potatoes, tossed together with crunchy pecans in a delicious earthy maple glaze. It’s the perfect addition to any fall dinner and a great vegetarian side dish for Thanksgiving.
Why you’ll love this
- This roasted veggie salad uses all your fall favorites when they are at their peak! There’s red beets– or use a variety of colors, if you have access to them! There’s sweet potatoes– an absolute must for any fall dish! Sweet potatoes are inexpensive, easy to find, and full of nutrition. And brussel sprouts– these lend their earthy, bitter flavor which is very complimentary to the maple glaze. Brussel sprouts have a lot of fiber and vitamin A, too.
- With all those softly roasted vegetables you’ll want a little crunch, and toasted pecans fit the bill.
- This salad is so hearty; it can be a main vegetarian dish.
- It’s perfect for Thanksgiving dinner too!
- Everything cooks together on a sheet pan and is ready in about an hour.
- We are cooking the beets with the skin on, so no red-stained hands. Winning!
What you’ll need
- Sweet potatoes– or substitute butternut squash
- Brussel sprouts– about 1 pound
- Beets– any color you can find. Remove the leave and save for a delicious salad or sauté.
- Whole pecans– or use pepitas (pumpkin seeds)
- Olive oil– for the dressing
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Balsamic vinegar– or substitute sherry vinegar or red wine vinegar
- Maple syrup– use the real stuff! It will taste so much better.
How to make Roasted Fall Vegetable Salad
- Preheat oven to 375 ºF.
- Clean and quarter the brussel sprouts. Peel and dice the sweet potatoes. Try to make sure they are all about the same size. Add both to a sheet pan, drizzle with olive oil and add salt and pepper to taste. Toss together until well coated in the oil.
- Wash the beets very well. Trim the top and bottom off. Place the beets inside a piece of aluminum foil. If the beets are very large, wrap them all separately in foil, but if they are smaller you can put them together. Drizzle with olive oil and wrap the foil around so the beets are completely enclosed. Add the foil packet to the sheet pan.
The beets are wrapped separately because they tend to take longer to cook and the foil helps them cook at the same rate as the other veggies. This also makes the skin very soft so you don’t have to peel the beets. When they are finished cooking, you can rub off the beet skin, if you prefer.
4. Bake for 30-40 minutes until golden brown and crispy looking (but not burnt) flip the sweet potatoes and brussel sprouts halfway.
5. While the veggies are roasting, toast the pecans in a skillet for a couple of minutes until they are fragrant.
6. Prepare the dressing: In a small saucepan combine the balsamic vinegar and maple syrup and cook over medium heat until reduced by half.
7. When the vegetables are finished cooking add them to a large serving bowl along with the toasted pecans.
8. Dice the beets and add those as well. Pour the dressing over and toss together to coat evenly. Serve warm.
You might like these recipes:
For more videos, kitchen tips, recipes, and inspiration follow me on Pinterest, Facebook, TikTok, and Instagram. Did you make this recipe? Share on social media and tag me @StephGigliotti, I would love to see it!
Fall Roasted Vegetable Salad
- 2 large sweet potatoes cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 pound brussel sprouts cleaned and quartered
- 3-4 beets washed well, tops and bottoms sliced off
- 1 cup whole pecans
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- Preheat oven to 375°F
- Place the diced sweet potatoes and brussel sprouts on a large sheet pan. Drizzle with 2 tablespoons olive oil and salt and pepper to taste. Toss to coat.
- Take a large piece of foil and put the beets in the middle. Drizzle with 1 tablespoon olive oil. Close the foil at the top so the beets are completely enclosed inside. Add the foil packet to the sheet pan.
- Bake for 30-45 minutes until vegetables are golden brown and crispy looking (but not burnt). Flip the sweet potatoes and brussel sprouts halfway through the cooking time.
- While the vegetables are roasting, add the pecans to a skillet and toast on the stove top a couple of minutes over medium high heat until fragrant. Careful not to burn them, this will only take a few minutes and as soon as you smell the nutty fragrance remove them from the heat to a cutting board. Roughly chop the pecans and set aside.
Prepare the dressing:
- In a small saucepan combine the balsamic vinegar and maple syrup and cook over medium heat until reduced by half.
- When the veggies are done cooking add them to a large serving bowl along with the pecans. Open the beets foil packet and chop the beets into cubes and add to the bowl
*the beets could take up to 1 hour to cook if they are large, if they are large you can wrap them individually in foil and/or put them in the oven to cook longer
- Pour the dressing over top and toss well to coat. Serve warm.