This post contains affiliate links which means if you make a purchase I might receive a small commission at no additional cost to you.
There are a lot of variations to Crock Pot Italian Beef Sandwiches, but this recipe is the western Pennsylvania version; and in my opinion, THE BEST version. I promise your family will love it! Crockpot Italian Beef Sandwiches are so easy, you just dump and go! The meat is so juicy and flavorful. It’s the perfect recipe for a weeknight dinner and a large party.
What makes this Italian Beef Sandwich different?
Some recipes for crock pot Italian Beef Sandwiches include pepperoncini’s, dry Italian salad dressing mix, or giardiniera. But the western Pennsylvania version (specifically Pittsburgh) is cooked in a red sauce containing chili sauce, celery, onion, and seasoning. It results in a mouthwatering sandwich!
When I was growing up I remember this recipe being served in giant chafing dishes at every large family gathering. Italian beef sandwiches were a staple at large get togethers because they were easy to make, they fed a crowd, and everyone loved them!
What you’ll need
- 5- 7 quart Crock Pot
- Chuck roast- or a rump roast or pot roast style meat
- Celery stalk , finely chopped
- White vinegar
- Seasonings- salt, pepper, oregano, garlic powder, Italian seasoning
- Chili sauce
- Worcestershire sauce
- Provolone cheese slices
- Hard rolls, for serving
- Meat claws or large forks for shredding
How to make Crock Pot Italian Beef Sandwiches
This is a dump and go type of dish! It’s as easy as throwing all the ingredients in the crock pot and turning it on! You can sear the beef, if you prefer, but it’s not necessary. Save yourself the extra step. 😉
- Prep: Place the chuck roast in the crock pot. Whisk together the water, celery, onion, seasonings, worchestershire sauce, and chili sauce and pout it over the beef
- Cook: Cook on low for 6- 8 hours or on high for 3-4 hours until the beef is tender
- Serve: Using the meat claws or two forks, shred the beef and return it to the pot and mix with the juices. Serve the shredded beef on buns with a slice of provolone cheese
Cool the beef completely. Store the beef in an air tight container up to 5 days in the refrigerator. Reheat in a pot on the stove or in the microwave.
Freeze the cooled beef up to 2 months. Thaw in the refrigerator over night, microwave or heat on the stove.
Love Crock Pot recipes? Get my 30 Crock Pot Recipes e-cookbook here for digital download!
You might also like:
Crock Pot Italian Beef Sandwiches
- 4 pound chuck roast or rump roast/pot roast
- 1 celery stalk finely chopped
- 1 large onion chopped
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 12 ounce bottle chili sauce
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- Provolone cheese slices
- Hard kaiser rolls for serving
- Lightly spray or line a crockpot
- Place the meat inside.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the celery, onion, ketchup, vinegar, salt, pepper, water, oregano, garlic salt, Italian seasoning, chili sauce and Worcestershire sauce. Pour over the meat.
- Cover and cook on low 6-8 hours or low 3-4 hours.
- Shred the meat with meat claws or 2 forks. Serve shredded beef on rolls with a slice of provolone cheese.