This easy Baba Ganoush recipe is a creamy, smokey, roasted eggplant dip that sounds fancy but is super simple to make! It’s just 7 ingredients and tastes so much better than store bought. This will be your new go to dip recipe!
This post contains affiliate links which means if you make a purchase I might receive a small commission at no additional cost to you.
What is Baba Ganoush?
Baba Ganoush is a Middle Eastern dip. It’s similar to hummus but includes smoky roasted eggplant. It’s absolutely delicious and probably easier to make than you think! It starts with roasting a whole eggplant for 45 minutes to 1 hour in the oven until the inside is a beautiful color and is soft enough to scoop. Then the roasted eggplant flesh is combined with tahini (a sesame seed paste), lemon juice, seasonings and fresh garlic. Aside from roasting the eggplant, this dip comes together in 10 minutes! And it’s a perfect vegetarian dip! You can serve Baba Ganoush with naan bread, pitas, crackers or veggies; it’s so versatile and perfect for a party appetizer.
How to make it:
(Full recipe at the bottom of the page)
Preheat your oven to 400ºF. Slice your eggplant in half longways. Sprinkle the inside flesh with about 1 teaspoon of salt on each side. Let the eggplant sit for 15 minutes so it can release a lot of the moisture. Wipe off the water with a paper towel.
Drizzle each cut side with olive oil and salt and pepper. Place on a sheet pan cut side down. Poke some holes on the purple flesh side with a fork. Bake for 45 minutes. Let the eggplant cool and scoop out the flesh.
Add the eggplant to a food processor along with garlic, tahini paste, lemon juice, cumin and more salt and pepper to taste. Pulse until you reach your desired consistency. I like mine a little more on the chunky side but you could go until the Baba Ganoush is completely smooth and creamy. If you like it more on the chunky side, you don’t even need a food processor, just mash with a fork!
If you love hummus, try the best ever roasted garlic hummus recipe!
For more how to videos, kitchen tips and tricks, recipes and ideas follow me on Pinterest, Facebook, TikTok, and Instagram. Did you make this recipe? Share your dish and tag me @StephGigliotti, I would love to see it!
- 1 Food Processor
- 1 eggplant, large or 2 small
- olive oil for drizzling
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 1 tsp cumin, more to taste
- 3 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 3-4 tbsp lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 400ºF
- Slice your eggplant in half longways. Sprinkle the inside flesh with 1 teaspoon of salt on each side. Let the eggplant sit for 15 minutes so it can release a lot of the moisture. Wipe off the beaded up moisture with a paper towel.
- Add the eggplant, lemon juice, cumin, tahini, salt and pepper, and garlic to a food processor and pulse until you reach your desired consistency, it's supposed to be chunky. Alternately, add all ingredients to a bowl and mash together with a fork.
- Add to a serving bowl and garnish with an extra drizzle of olive oil. Other topping suggestions: fresh chopped parsley, toasted pine nuts, paprika, pomegranate seeds