This easy French toast casserole is loaded with chocolate chips and cinnamon flavor! It has everything you want is a delicious French toast casserole! This dish is perfect for brunch, breakfast for dinner, or holiday mornings. And you can prepare it the night before, making it the ultimate breakfast casserole!
This post contains affiliate links which means if you make a purchase I might receive a small commission at no additional cost to you.
Why French toast casserole is the best
I love a good breakfast casserole! It immediately reminds me of the holidays and family. I love to make this on Christmas Eve to bake on Christmas morning or before Easter for brunch. Although it’s amazing any day of the week, any time of year! No special occasion required. This recipe has the bread sit in the custard for 30 minutes, but the longer it sits and the bread soaks in that sweet milk egg mixture, the better it gets! Making this a perfect make ahead dish. And it feeds a crowd! It’s the perfect get together type of recipe.
What you’ll need
- A 9×13 baking dish
- 1 loaf of brioche bread- it doesn’t have to be fancy bakery brioche bread, I use Pepperidge Farm. Aldi’s makes a great chocolate chip brioche bread too!
- milk- whole milk makes this rich and delicious, but any milk works! Even almond milk. Vanilla almond milk would be delicious!
- mini chocolate chips
- brown sugar
- vanilla extract
It’s pretty simple!
Tips & Tricks
- After prepping the casserole refridgerate at least 30 minutes to let the bread soak in the milk and egg mixture. You can prepare this up to 24 hours in advance though!
- Refrigerate leftovers in an air tight container up to 4 days. You can microwave the leftovers or pop it in the oven to warm, but try frying a piece in some butter in a pan. SO GOOD!
- If you aren’t fond of chocolate chips you can leave them out. You can replace them with walnuts or fruit like berries, or make it plain and top with berries or bananas.
- If you wanted to make this extra decadent you can whisk together a glaze to pour over top. Just mix together 1 cup of powdered sugar with 2 tablespoons milk (adding more if it’s too thick) and a splash of vanilla. Pour the glaze over the warm bread when it’s finished baking.
For more how to videos, kitchen tips and tricks, recipes and ideas follow me on Pinterest, Facebook, TikTok, and Instagram. Did you make this recipe? Share your dish and tag me @StephGigliotti, I would love to see it!
French Toast Casserole with Chocolate Chips
- 1 loaf brioche bread cut into chunks
- 1 cup mini chocolate chips
- 2 cups milk
- 6 eggs
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Lightly grease a 9×13 baking dish with butter or non stick cooking spray.
- Cut or tear the brioche into pieces. Add the brioche cubes to the baking dish.
- In a mixing bowl, mix together (with an electric mixer) the milk, eggs, brown sugar, vanilla, salt and cinnamon. Stir in the chocolate chips. Pour over the bread and make sure all the bread chunks are saturated by the egg mixture.
- Cover with foil and refrigerate at least 30 minutes, up to 24 hours.
- When ready to bake preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Bake, covered, for 45 minutes.
- Serve with syrup, whipped cream, or berries