A cheesy, creamy, and comforting pasta dish with tender cheese tortellini, salty prosciutto, peas and smoky roasted red peppers. It comes together in just 20 minutes and guaranteed to be a big hit at the dinner table! Creamy cheese tortellini with prosciutto and peas is a perfect spring dish!
This post contains affiliate links which means if you make a purchase I might receive a small commission at no additional cost to you.
I can honestly say this dish is one of my most favorite recipes! If it were up to my family, I’d be making this multiple times a week. It’s that good!
Why you’ll love it too!
- First of all, the entire recipe comes together in less than 20 minutes! You could make it in 10 minutes even! The cheese sauce is super simple and the tortellini cooks in 3 minutes. Fast and delicious is my perfect meal!
- It’s hearty and filling. A little goes a long way! I love this with a big garden salad on the side with a yummy fresh vinaigrette.
- The ingredients are simple yet delicious. And you can customize this to your family’s liking.
- Did I mention it’s ready in less than 20 minutes? 😉
What you’ll need to make creamy tortellini with prosciutto and peas:
- 19 ounce bag of frozen cheese tortellini. You could use ravioli instead. Use 2 bags if you’re doubling the recipe.
- Sliced prosciutto, a 4 ounce package.
- Frozen peas
- Garlic- fresh or minced in the jar.
- Asiago cheese-I buy a wedge and grate it at home. It melts better that way.
- Roasted red peppers- from a can or jar, packed in water or oil, both will work.
- Heavy cream- you can use milk, but the cream gives it the richness you’re looking for.
- Seasonings- I just use salt and pepper, feel free to add whatever you like.
- A large pot to boil. I love this one with the strainer lid because it locks in place!
- A large sauté pan. This is what I use, it’s the best!
Tips & Tricks
- Use ham, bacon, chicken, or sausage instead of prosciutto, or leave the meat out completely for a vegetarian option.
- Don’t like peas? Try frozen broccoli florets or stir in fresh spinach leaves at the end.
- Change the cheese; instead of asiago cheese try grated parmesan, mozzarella, gouda, or fontina.
- Add fresh grated nutmeg
Try these other family favorites!
Creamy Tortellini with Peas & Prosciutto
- 19 ounce bag of frozen cheese tortellini
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 1/4 cup jarred roasted red peppers, chopped
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 4 ounces prosciutto, sliced
- 1 cup asiago cheese, shredded could also use parmesan cheese or mozzarella
- 1 tsp black pepper more to taste
- 1/2 tsp salt more to taste
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 lemon, zest and juice
- 2 tbsp Italian flat leaf parsley, chopped
- Bring a pot of salted water to a boil.
- In a large saucepan, over medium heat, add the olive oil, garlic and prosciutto and cook until the prosciutto is crispy, about 5 minutes.
- To the saucepan add the salt and pepper, roasted red peppers, heavy cream and asiago cheese. Stir until cheese is melted, don't let the sauce burn.
- Meanwhile add the tortellini to the boiling water and cook 2-3 minutes. Add in the peas and cook another minute. The tortellini should only need 3-4 minutes total to cook, it's very fast. Reserve 1 cup of pasta water in case you need to thin the cheese sauce.
- Drain the tortellini with peas and add to the cheese sauce. Mix together, add the pasta water a little at a time if the cheese sauce seems to thick, until it reaches desired consistency. You might not need any pasta water.
- Stir in the lemon juice and zest, parsley and more salt and pepper to taste.