If you are looking for an easy, kid friendly dinner idea, look no further than Chicken and Waffles Casserole!
This post may contain affiliate links which means if you make a purchase I might receive a small commission at no additional cost to you.
Chicken and Waffles Casserole is sweet and savory and only 5 main ingredients! It’s perfect for those picky eaters who only like chicken nuggets (like my daughter!). It’s so easy to whip together and makes for a quick, delicious weeknight dinner. Also wonderful for breakfast or brunch.
What you’ll need
This casserole is so simple with just 5 main ingredients!
- Frozen popcorn chicken– any chicken nuggets or chicken strips will work for this
- Frozen waffles– I like the homestyle kind, but any waffles will work
- Maple syrup– strongly urge you to use the real maple syrup, it tastes SO much better!
- Milk– I have not tried dairy milk alternatives such as soy or almond milk. I imagine those would work too, but I haven’t tried it myself. If you do, let me know!
- Seasonings– salt, pepper, paprika. Pretty simple! Feel free to add any other seasonings you like.
How to make Chicken and Waffles Casserole
This is just a brief overview, the full recipe is at the bottom of the post.
Bake the chicken and the waffles in the oven. The chicken is only cooked halfway; it will finish cooking in the casserole. Cut the chicken and waffles into bite sized pieces.
While the chicken and waffles are in the oven whisk together the eggs, milk, maple syrup, and seasonings.
Add the chicken and the waffles to a baking dish. Pour the egg mixture over top.
Bake uncovered for 30-40 minutes until the eggs are set.
Cut into squares and serve with more maple syrup.
Can I make this ahead?
Yes! This casserole can be assembled the day before and cooked when you’re ready. It’s great for a make ahead holiday morning breakfast. Partially thaw the chicken so it’s able to be cut into pieces, same with the waffles. Assemble: add the chicken, waffles, and egg mixture to the casserole dish and cover tightly. Refrigerate up to 24 hours and bake as usual.
Tips and Tricks
- Use any chicken nuggets or chicken strips in this. I prefer the popcorn chicken because the crispiness holds up well when the casserole is baked. You can even use a fried rotisserie chicken, cut up into pieces.
- Use homemade waffles instead of frozen, if you prefer.
- Honey can be substituted for the syrup. If you like spice, hot honey would be great! Squirt in some hot sauce.
- This casserole can be made in advance. Just assemble it in the casserole dish, cover, and bake the next day.
- Serve with a side of grits, bacon, sausage or fruit for a full spread.
You might also like
- Tater Tot Casserole
- French Toast Casserole with Chocolate Chips
- Easy Peach Crisp
- Asparagus Prosciutto Tart made with Puff Pastry
Chicken and Waffles Casserole
- 24-25.5 ounce bag frozen popcorn chicken
- 10 home style frozen waffles
- 10 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup real maple syrup
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tsp paprika
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Grease a 9×13 baking dish.
- Lay the waffles and chicken on baking sheets
- Bake the waffles for 10 minutes and the chicken for 15 minutes (the chicken will finish cooking in the casserole)
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, whisk the eggs together. Add in the maple syrup, milk, paprika and salt and pepper to taste. Whisk until all ingredients are well combined.
- When the waffles and chicken are finished cooking lower the oven temperature to 350°F. Cut the waffles and chicken into large chunks
- Add 1/2 of the waffles to a 9×13 baking dish, then layer on 1/2 of the chicken, the rest of the waffles and the rest of the chicken.
- Pour the egg mixture evenly over the chicken and waffles.
- Bake uncovered 30-40 minutes until the eggs are set. Watch so the waffles don’t burn.
- Cut into squares to serve. Serve with extra maple syrup.