Flag Fruit Tarts are a great addition to your summer party! The perfect one bite dessert or appetizer and are so easy to make!
The fruit tarts start with pre-made frozen phyllo tart shells and then are filled with a lusciously sweet (but not overly sweet) mascarpone cheese cream, and topped with fresh berries. Oh so delicious!
This post contains affiliate links which means if you make a purchase I might receive a small commission at no additional cost to you.
These adorable little fruit tarts can be made in less than 20 minutes. It’s perfect dish to make when you need a dish at the last minute! (Not that I’ve ever waited to the last minute to throw a dish together ;))
These fruit tarts start with frozen phyllo shells. I love these little shells! There’s endless filling possibilities! You can go sweet or savory. They make desserts and appetizers a breeze. The phyllo shells are my go to for an easy and quick appetizer or dessert.
What you’ll need for Flag Fruit Tarts
- Phyllo tart shells-You can find them in the frozen section at the grocery store by the pound cake and puff pastry. Or you can get them here if you can’t find them in your local store.
- Mascarpone cheese– a sweet and tangy Italian soft cheese that’s similar to crème fraiche or cream cheese; which you could substitute if you don’t have mascarpone.
- Powdered sugar– to add sweetness to the cheese filling, quickly sift it to make it fluffy
- Lemon– zest and juice to brighten the filling
- Fresh berries– red and blue, use whatever berries you like! I used a mix of blueberries, blackberries, strawberries, and raspberries.
How to make Flag Fruit Tarts
Full recipe at the bottom of the post
- Bake the frozen phyllo shells on a sheet pan to crisp them.
- Prepare the filling. Measure out the mascarpone, honey, and heavy whipping cream and add to a mixing bowl. Measure and sift the powdered sugar, add to the bowl.
- Using a micro plane zest the lemon. Make sure to only zest the yellow part and not into the white part of the lemon, because the white part is bitter. Reserve some zest for garnish and add the rest to the bowl. Squeeze the lemon juice into the mixing bowl.
- Using a hand mixer, mix the filling until light and fluffy. Add the filling to a piping bag or to a gallon size Ziplock bag and snip off the corner.
- Arrange the shells on a serving platter into a rectangle shape. Pipe in the filling. Top with the berries to look like the American flag; 6 blue berry shells in the top left corner, alternating red berry rows and plain cream rows
- Dust powdered sugar over the tarts and sprinkle over the lemon zest.
- Serve immediately. If you wanted to make them ahead of time you can mix the filling and keep it in the refrigerator until you’re ready to fill the tarts.
So easy! You and your guests will love these! Change out the berries for different holidays or for any special event like a bridal or baby shower. They are versatile and great for any occasion!
Looking for more red, white, and blue inspired recipes? Try Red, White, and Blue Cupcakes!
Flag Fruit Tarts
- 2 boxes of phyllo tart shells 30 shells
- 8 ounces mascarpone cheese
- 1 lemon Juice and zest
- 1 tsp honey
- 2 tbsp heavy whipping cream
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar sifted
- Red and blue berries such as chopped strawberries raspberries, blueberries and blackberries
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Bake frozen phyllo shells on a sheet pan for 4 minutes. Let cool
- With a hand mixer, mix together the mascarpone cheese, lemon juice and zest (reserve some zest for garnish), honey, heavy cream and powdered sugar until soft and fluffy.
- Put the cheese mixture in a gallon sized Ziplock bag and snip off the corner, or use a piping bag with a tip.
- Arrange the phyllo shells on a large platter into a rectangle shape for a flag.
- Pipe the filling into each shell, about 2 teaspoons per shell. Add the blueberries or blackberries on top of the 6 tart shells in the upper left corner for the blue part of the flag. Add the raspberries and/or chopped strawberries into every other row to make the full American flag stripes.
- Sprinkle all of the tarts with powdered sugar and lemon zest. Serve immediately.