This Tater Tot Casserole is crispy, comforting, and might just be your family’s new favorite dinner!
This post may contain affiliate links which means if you make a purchase I might receive a small commission at no additional cost to you.
Tater Tot Casserole is easy and so satisfying! Tender ground beef, gooey cheese and crispy tots; what’s not to love! Your family will devour this dinner!
What you’ll need
- 9 x 13 baking dish
- Lean ground beef– could also use ground turkey if you prefer
- Onion– can be diced or grated (if you need to hide the onion because of picky kiddos ;))
- Cream of chicken soup– can be substituted for cream of mushroom soup if that’s what you have on hand.
- Frozen tater tots– the star of the dish!
- Shredded cheddar cheese– makes this dish so creamy and cheesy. This cheese shredder makes it a breeze!
- Seasonings– salt, pepper, garlic powder
How to make Tater Tot Casserole
Step 1: Cook the beef in a skillet with the onion over medium high heat until cooked through. Drain if necessary. Season with salt, pepper and garlic powder.
Step 2: Mix in a can of cream of chicken soup.
Step 3: Spoon the beef mixture into a 9×13 baking dish. Top with 1 cup of the shredded cheddar cheese.
Step 4: Line the frozen tater tots on top of the beef and cheese mixture. I find lining the tater tots on their “skinny” side works best, really stuff them in there. You might have to make a vertical row, but all of the tater tots from a 28 or 30 ounce bag should fit.
Step 5: Spread over the remaining cheddar cheese.
Step 6: Bake uncovered until the tots are golden brown and crispy.
How to store
Store leftovers in an airtight container up to five days. Reheat large portions in the oven at 350ºF until warmed through or smaller portions in the microwave.
How to freeze
Cook the beef and onion and mix in the seasonings and soup, per the recipe directions. Add to a freezer safe dish and let cool. Assemble with the shredded cheese and tater tots. Wrap the dish well with plastic wrap and foil and freeze up to 4 months. To prepare, bake from frozen at 350ºF for 1 hour to 1 hour and 20 minutes, or until heated.
Tips and Tricks
- Add in a bag of frozen mixed vegetables, corn, or bell pepper blend to the beef mixture.
- Use any “cream of” soup in place of the chicken, such as cream of mushroom, cream of onion, cream of celery, or cream of broccoli.
- Add a packet of taco seasoning to the beef and/or salsa.
- Mix in or drizzle on some BBQ sauce.
- Try pepper jack, colby jack, gruyere, or a cheese combination in place of the cheddar.
Love family recipes? Get my 20 Family Favorites Recipe E-Cookbook! My family’s tried and true favorite meals.
Tater Tot Casserole
- 28-30 ounce bag frozen tater tots
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 10.5 ounce can cream of chicken soup
- 2 cups cheddar cheese shredded
- 1 onion diced or grated
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Cook the beef in a skillet with the onion over medium high heat until cooked through. Drain if necessary. Season with salt, pepper (to taste) and garlic powder. Take off the heat and mix in the cream of chicken soup.
- Pour the beef mixture in the bottom of a 9×13 baking dish.
- Top with 1 cup cheddar cheese.
- Line with the frozen tater tots. Stuff them in, put them on their thinner side, they should all fit in a 9×13 dish. Top the tater tots with the remaining cheddar cheese.
- Bake uncovered 40-50 minutes, until the tater tots are golden brown.